Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO)

Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) is an advanced renewable diesel that offers a fast and simple step towards Net Zero, rather than the complex and expensive leap needed for electrification. With a large number of OEM approvals, the fuel can used without capital expenditure for changes to infrastructure, removing cost barriers and enabling a practical step towards decarbonisation.

All HVO’s raw materials are audited and checked to ensure the integrity of the product. We are also a member of the Renewable Fuel Assurance (RFAS) run by Zemo, which gives our customers a certificate every quarter for the previous quarter’s consumption.

Our in-house technical team provide free support and advice to ensure a completely seamless transition to HVO. What’s more, we provide full continuity of supply and deliver the product throughout the UK, utilising our fleet of HVO-fuelled tankers.

To find out more about HVO fuel, get in touch with our fuel experts on 0333 200 5005.

Crown Oil HVO Fuel Delivery Tanker

How will HVO benefit your business?

  • Up to 90% reduction in net CO2 greenhouse emissions
  • Renewable, sustainable and 100% biodegradable
  • Reduces notifiable particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions
  • Drop-in replacement for regular diesel & gas oil
  •  Meets EN15940 standard for paraffinic fuels and Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex II
  • Wide range of OEM approvals means it can often be used without needing engine and machinery modification
  • Excellent cold-weather performance
  • Up to 10-year shelf life

See how much carbon you’d save when switching from diesel to HVO

Carbon Calculator

How much fuel do you use?
Choose your fuel type

Your results

Using of Red Diesel you emit


of net CO2

This is equivalent to

You can save on average


of net CO2 from switching to HVO

Using of HVO you would emit


of net CO2

We’re driving down emissions with HVO

Seeing the benefits, we were the first UK fuel supplier to switch our entire delivery fleet to HVO in June 2021, reducing our transport emissions by up to 90% (approx. 3080 tCO2e each year) with the remaining 10% voluntarily offset. Not only this, but this move has led to us reducing our Scope 1 emissions by 89% (2022/2023).

Did you know…

An average fuel delivery that runs on regular diesel will produce approximately 42kg of CO2e.

Partnering with Crown Oil for your fuel delivery will produce on average 4.2kg of CO2e, saving around 37.8kg of net CO2e!

* Emissions factors obtained from DEFRA and include Scope 3 WTT figures
* Average mileage taken from Crown Oil averages 2022/23

tonnes of net CO2 reduced across our transport fleet from using HVO

HVO Frequently Asked Questions

What is HVO?

HVO, which stands for Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil is one of the cleanest burning fuels available today. It’s a second-generation, synthetic, advanced renewable diesel that reduces up to 90% of net CO2 and significantly reduces nitrogen oxide (NOx), particulate matter (PM) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions.

The renewable diesel meets EN 15940 standards and the Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex II, so it can be used as a drop-in alternative to regular white and red diesel. There’s no need to upgrade existing infrastructure – you can refuel and go! We do however, always recommend starting with a fresh batch of the fuel to ensure none of the superior characteristics are lost.

How is HVO made?

Hydrotreating vegetable oils is a modern way to produce high-quality diesel fuels from fully renewable materials which can be regrown when stock is needed. The crops used avoid damage to the environment, the natural ecosystem and the drive for global deforestation.

What can HVO be used for?

HVO fuel is widely used across a range of industries such as construction, data centres, rail, events and public transport.

HVO is commonly used in:

  • Portable generators
  • Commercial boilers
  • Agricultural tractors and machinery
  • Boasts and vessels operating within inland waterways
  • Construction equipment and machinery
  • Industrial trucks and tankers
  • Roadgoing fleets

Does Crown Oil’s HVO contain palm oil?

At Crown Oil, we do not support the use or sale of palm oil-derived HVO and will only supply ISCC-verified waste-derived products into the market.

The Proof of Sustainability (POS) confirms the origin of raw material and ensures that users can verify the credentials of our renewable diesel. Our product does not contain any products that contribute to global deforestation and is therefore accepted by the RFTO. It also qualifies for further RFTO credits as it’s derived from 100% waste products.

Looking to find out more about how Crown HVO fuel can help your business reduce emissions? Get in touch via our request a callback form below